[Tagging] How to tag an unsigned bike lane?

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 01:18:06 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Around here there are a few roads that have spaces striped as if they
>> were bike lanes, but they're not actually marked as such, so they
>> don't fall under the mandatory bike lane law ("shall ride in the lane
>> marked for bicycle use"). But those cyclists who like bike lanes will
>> see them as a good thing, and will want them tagged as such. So how
>> should they be tagged? (This isn't the same as the shoulder issue,
>> where some cyclists like using a lane designed for another use; these
>> are clearly designed as bike lanes, just not marked.)
>
> Are they for parking? One council in my area explicitly considers some
> on-street parking strips as de facto bike lanes.

Hell no. That would be a parking lane, not suitable for cycling.
Picture a typical bike lane; now remove all signage and markings
calling it a bike lane. Here's an example:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.332798,-81.491435&spn=0.001929,0.00515&t=k&z=19&layer=c&cbll=28.332797,-81.491264&panoid=s34bEpDWqe-ThdTF0X38uQ&cbp=12,103.59,,0,2.84