[Tagging] Another classification needed for minor urban/suburban collectors?

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 06:29:52 BST 2010

I'm going to use this area of Orlando as an example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.51724&lon=-81.43253&zoom=15&layers=M

I designated only the major through highways as primary, and major
suburban highways as secondary. Yet there are still two tiers of roads
remaining:
*1. Major interconnections, mostly four-lane: McLeod, Bruton/Vineland,
Raleigh/Columbia, Metrowest
*2. Local collectors that serve as main neighborhood streets:
Aaron/Kirkland, Willie Mays/Kozart, King Cole

Making the former secondary would seemingly overload the map with
secondaries. But as it is, there are two distinct classes of road
marked as tertiary, and it's not always clear which connect between
neighborhoods and which serve as main roads inside neighborhoods.
Bumping the latter down to residential would also lose information:
these are more than your typical residential street, and are intended
to collect and distribute neighborhood traffic.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than starting the long process
to make a new "collector" classification for the latter? Am I using
too few primaries and secondaries?