[Tagging] Another classification needed for minor urban/suburban collectors?

André Riedel riedel.andre at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 11:02:46 BST 2010

2010/8/23 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>:
> highway=unclassified in my experience is essentially
> highway=residential outside a residential area.

Not exactly. An 'unclassified' is a road to connect some neighborhoods
or towns. It should be a connection between roads of a higher class
(tertiary, secondary) but often used only by locals. It could be found
in the rural and urban area. A 'residential' is a road only with
originating traffic (people living there, delivering service, ...).
Nobody who wants to drive from town A to town C, will use a
residential road in town B. You will find residential roads in
residental, commercial or industrial areas.

Ciao André