[Tagging] Permanent open air stage

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Aug 23 11:16:21 BST 2010

On 23/08/2010 10:54, Liz wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Peteris Krisjanis wrote:
>> I'm tagging my hometown and saw that Map features doesn't have any tag
>> to mark open air stages. I know lot of open air stages are one time
>> effort (for example, festivals), but there are lot of permanent ones
>> (made of stone, wood, etc.), especially in Europe.
>>
>> leisure = openair_stage or leisure=open_air_stage?
>
> a similar item from the 19th Century is called a bandstand
> do they have a tag yet?
> otherwise I would consider them equivalent and tag them the same

http://osm.org/go/0ERWvVy24--

I tagged building=bandstand, but I know of numerous others so a tag in
its own right would be good.

I can think of at least four different things like this:
- the Victorian bandstand as above,
- a stage where theatre is performed (Covent Garden - the performance
area, not the Opera)
- an orchestra stage (which might be the same thing, or might be
exclusive) - I have in mind the one on the banks of the Charles River in
Boston. Is this in fact different from a bandstand except in scale?
Clearly at a high level no and at a deeper level yes.
- a historic amphitheatre still used for contemporary productions - like
the one at Orange in France

Also, doesn't the Parthenon has a permanent theatrical seating area for
the Son et lumiere displays, so there's no stage but there is an auditorium.

David