[Tagging] How to tag an unsigned bike lane?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Aug 23 16:13:43 BST 2010

  On 23/08/2010 15:31, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2010/8/23 Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>:
>> Hell no. That would be a parking lane, not suitable for cycling.
>> Picture a typical bike lane; now remove all signage and markings
>> calling it a bike lane. Here's an example:
>> http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.332798,-81.491435&spn=0.001929,0.00515&t=k&z=19&layer=c&cbll=28.332797,-81.491264&panoid=s34bEpDWqe-ThdTF0X38uQ&cbp=12,103.59,,0,2.84
>
> what does actually make you believe it is intended for bicycles if
> there is no signs and no road markings? Couldn't it just as well be
> for horses, skateboards, pedestrians, snow mobiles, motorbikes, dogs
> or whatever?

Having stayed in a hotel just north of where that picture was taken I
can say that snowmobiles would be unlikely there! Large humanoid mice
would be a possibility though...

Sometimes you don't need a sign to tell what something is for. Near
where I live there's an "equestrian crossing" (think light-controlled
pedestrian crossing, but with the buttons high up so horseriders can
easily reach). There's no sign saying "horse riders please cross here",
but given that the other options would be people on stilts or
penny-farthing riders it seems fair to assume that horseriders were the
target market.