[Tagging] craft= Proposal

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Aug 24 10:03:03 BST 2010

On 24 August 2010 09:53, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> n Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Peter Körner <osm-lists at mazdermind.de>wrote:
>
>> It goes like
>>
>> A place producing or processing customised goods.
>>

> We need a better definition. A baker or a restaurant could also belong to
> that category but I still prefer 'shop' for baker and 'amenity' for
> restaurant..

It's interesting that the different languages on the wiki have different
lists, because "craft" has quite different meanings across countries.

These days in the UK we normally talk of "arts and crafts", meaning the work
of artisans who are neither members of the high-art world nor mass producing
consumer products. You tend to find their work in funny little markets and
at country fairs. It is very unusual to talk of gardeners, bakers or
electricians as practising a craft unless they are selling curious products
in an artisan market.

In Germany I believe that "craft" has a much wider meaning.

The definition given by Peter on the wiki isn't easy to apply consistently.
For example, almost all bakeries in the UK will produce *some* produce in
their shop; some are national chains and take deliveries from afar, others
are part of small local consortia and do produce their own goods but not in
the shop itself. Are they a craft or a shop?

Another approach may be to continue marking all of those features as shops
but including some additional tagging to denote that it is an artisan /
craft?

Regards,
Tom