[Tagging] ele-key for lakes / water bodies and glaciers

Elena of Valhalla elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 11:53:53 BST 2010

On 8/23/10, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you use the key ele for water covered areas like lakes?
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ele
>
> I think I would use it to tag the height of the ground (solid) part,
> and not the water surface, because this is what I would expect a
> terrain model would display.

on the way that marks the boundary of lakes etc. I would expect the
ele key to tag the average height of the water surface, since that is
what is constant on the whole lake

other points inside the lake may have the height of the ground part,
as appropriate, e.g. to mark things like deepest points etc.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org
email: elena.valhalla at gmail.com