[Tagging] Semicolons? (was Re: RFC: generator:* (for power=generator features))

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 10:49:26 BST 2010

2010/8/27 Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net>:

>> the suggested semicolon for combinations is never evaluated by any
>> application (AFAIK).
>>

> I have been told two different things, now. Do we use semicolons or not?

we "use" semicolons in cases where 2 values have to be assigned to one
key, but it is not beeing evaluated AFAIK, at least not by "mayor"
applications. That's why we try to solve issues with two values in a
different way:
amenity=bank
amenity=atm

instead of amenity=bank;atm
we use
amenity=bank
atm=yes

I would not recommend to design a proposal where it is predictable
that multiple values to one key will occur in this way. I was told
that it is unlikely that multiple values will be taken into account
because this is too cost intensive to calculate.

>From a non-programmer's point of view I would think that one could do
a preprocessing parsing all values before end-using them hence
duplicating/multiplicating the nodes into single k/v-pairs at the same
coordinates, but this is probably exactly the thing that is expensive.

cheers,
Martin