[Tagging] sidewalks

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Aug 28 06:23:28 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:56 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> if there is no footway, it shouldn't be tagged as such.

Agreed.  But what is a footway?  The dictionary says it's "a narrow
way or path for pedestrians".  I don't see anything about grass being
disqualified.

But then, "footway" is not a term I'm all that familiar with.

> You might tag it highway=noway foot=yes surface =grass
>
> ;-)

Noway is a term I'm even less familiar with.  :)

I guess according to the OSM definitions, it should be highway=path
("A route open to the public which is not intended for motor vehicles
with four or more wheels.")  But then, I think highway=path and
highway=footway tend to get interchanged a lot.