[Tagging] Relation for saying "x is attached to y"?

Sebastian Klein bastikln at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 29 17:09:03 BST 2010

Tom Chance wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I want a way of creating an object for an energy generator and then
> saying "this is on top of / inside this building object". Here is an
> example of one such object:

> I checked on the wiki page and couldn't see any established or proposed
> uses of relations for this purpose. Am I missing one, has this been
> discussed before?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations

Isn't it kind of obvious, that a "photovoltaic" type power generator is
located on top of the building rather than inside or below?

You may assume a basic level of intelligence from the user of the data
and add only information that has more than one option. E.g. is the post
box attached to a wall or does it stand on its own? In this example you
would not need a relation, since the post box node can simply be joined
with the building way.

If there is something notable about the object, you could also start
with a note=* tag that describes the interesting features. If there are
more advanced tagging schemes in the future, other mappers can apply it
without visiting the place again.

Sebastian