[Tagging] Waterway direction

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Aug 31 19:58:43 BST 2010

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:35 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com
> <mailto:neroute2 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I don't know of any other feature where the direction of the way means
>     something *without* another tag being added. I've traced a number of
>     waterways from aerials and never had any idea I was supposed to set
>     the direction of the way equal to the direction of flow.

Just to throw something else into this discussion...
   highway=steps
It doesn't (or at least, isn't documented as) have direction, but
_could_ have in the same way as rivers (direction of way is down the
steps, say).

Some other things that might have natural "flow" or "directionality":
cable cars, ski runs, power lines, pipelines, slipway, pier, military
range, racecourse, athletics track

Incidentally, direction of flow for waterway=canal doesn't work on the
summits and troughs of a locked canal, but that's probably being pedantic.

Coastline and boundaries most definitely use way direction in their
semantics.

David