[Tagging] Waterway direction

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Tue Aug 31 21:22:07 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Fairhurst" <richard at systemed.net>
To: <Tagging at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Waterway direction

> Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> Adding a oneway tag explicitly says that it flows that way.
>
> Please please don't do that.
>
> Navigable waterways do sometimes have oneway sections for boats. For
> example, it's common on river bridges for one arch to be devoted to
> upstream
> traffic, another to downstream.
>
> The oneway tag is useful for this in its traditional use as an access
> restriction. Please don't destroy its utility by repurposing it for
> something different entirely.

+1

The OSM convention for water flow is that it flows in the direction the way
is drawn, and probably in 95% of cases that's all that's needed.

If the flow direction is both ways (as I understand some places might be -
though I cant think how), or the flow direction is unknown then a tag such
as  flow_direction: both|unknown might be of some use.

David