[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Plant Nursery

Kenny Moens streetmap at functor.be
Sun Dec 12 08:58:40 GMT 2010

Hello,

Based on the input here, and the description of th natural=tree key,
I've ammended the plant nursery proposal:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Plant_nursery

Please note that this is not exactly the suggestion made by Sean, but
rather based on the existing way of tagging as used by the natural=tree
tag.

Additionally I've created a new draft which contains the plant proposal
itself, and the involved keys:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Plant

Kind regards,

Kenny Moens

On 11/12/2010 22:55, Sean Horgan wrote:
> I just took a quick look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species and
> it says there are about 7 million identified species, or which plants
> represent around 300k.  On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree it
> supplies a definition of a tree and common names used by most people
> to identify a tree seem to have detailed wikipedia pages
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak), which go on to link to specific
> species (oak: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Quercus_species).
>
> It looks like a lot of the specifics can be directly referenced so it
> wouldn't need to be duplicated in the OSM wiki.
>
> Depending on how much the tagger wants to record, you could define a
> tree node as follows:
>
> plant=<type>, where type={tree, herb, bush, grass, vine, fern, moss,
> green-algae}
> <type>=<common name>
> species=<latin classification>
>
> For example:
>
> plant=tree
> tree=oak
> species=/Quercus alba <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_alba>/
>
> --
> Sean
>
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 02:10, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     2010/12/8 Sean Horgan <sean.horgan at gmail.com
>     <mailto:sean.horgan at gmail.com>>:
>     > Hi Kenny,
>     > The new proposal looks good.
>     > Are you going to create a new plant key?  Maybe at least a
>     landing page and
>     > some examples that cover your original needs to describe trees.
>

>     I suggest to amend the species type with the latin classification
>     scheme, like it is in use for natural=tree. This permits to
>     unambigously tag the specific plants. The suggested plant-tag could be
>     used as preliminary / rough tag to make differences between trees,
>     grass, etc.
>
>     cheers,
>     Martin

Kenny Moens