[Tagging] Editing road layouts that have bus routes

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 15 16:27:02 GMT 2010

On 15/12/2010 15:31, Laurence Penney wrote:
> The other day I tidied up a road junction near where I live in Bristol, moving nodes and deleting a way with the aid of Bing imagery. I found it more problematic than I expected because of a bus route that went along the road - the deleted way seems to have confused things.
>
> Here are the two ways, between which was the deleted way:

> The two relations (one in each direction) look ok here:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/273877
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/168190
>
> But in JOSM there are now dozens of entries "forward=incomplete", "backward=incomplete", "forward_stop=incomplete".
>
> 1. I'd be very grateful if a bus route expert could check the above.
> 2. Is there a bus route animator anywhere that could visualize whether the route is ok?

When JOSM says they are incomplete, it just means those parts of the
relation haven't been downloaded. So use the "Download members" option,
and it will download all of them.
You can then select the relation (double click on it in the list of the
relations), which will highlight it on the map. Then you can check it,
and see if it looks correct.
I'm no bus route expert, but that section appears to be correct, as far
as I can tell.

There is a relation analyzer, that can be helpful for finding gaps in
relations. Though it doesn't show it clearly if it has separate parts
with different roles, eg forward/backward. See
http://ra.osmsurround.org/ and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation_Analyzer

I don't know if there are any better tools for this.