[Tagging] Deprecated features - highway=disused

dies38061 at mypacks.net dies38061 at mypacks.net
Mon Dec 20 22:23:20 GMT 2010

I came across http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Disused_road today.  I applied the proposal page template, indicating that the proposal had been obsoleted, as noted in the commentary on the page.  Looking at the tag info for highway (http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de/keys/highway), I see that there are presently 88 instances of highway=disused.

Would you support addition of highway=discussed to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features as:
* Date: (date of agreement here)
* Old Key/Value: highway=disused
* Suggested Replacement: highway=* & disused=yes & access=yes (no implied)
* Reason: creation of general disused key

The main problem I see with this proposal is the indication at key:disused that the use of the key implies access=no, which is not necessarily true in the case of a highway which is disused.  Could this be circumvented by the inclusion of the 'access=yes' recommendation in the suggested replacement?

Thanks for considering this. --ceyockey (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ceyockey)