[Tagging] Micro Mapping, was Race track

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 01:38:05 GMT 2010

On 1 February 2010 03:34, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> Just watched http://www.vimeo.com/5673183
>
> Yeah, ultimately we're going to need to use areas with elevation information
> and/or full blown polyhedra.  Yes, 2D mapping isn't sufficient.  But 2D is
> closer to 3D than 1D.  :)

We're already doing quasi 3D mapping with layers, and implied widths
by highway tags, so even at this point we're well beyond simple 1D
mapping, but this won't extend to complex situations like the ones
presented by those in that video and neither will areas, and I'm fully
willing to admit my suggestions probably won't handle really complex
situations either I haven't tried to describe their situation in XML
yet but will later today, but we need a solution not half solutions
that doesn't work when it does complex highways and interchanges.

Going with Richards idea, what about making the editor do the grunt
work, place a node at a point, and then have the editor calculate the
width by stretching the road way side ways, then apply the width
values against nodes, which would make areas redundent.

If we also define the numbe of lanes on a per node basis we wouldn't
need to split ways just because lanes increased or descreased.