[Tagging] Race track

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Feb 1 02:35:08 GMT 2010

Roy Wallace wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
>
>>> Is there really no tag needed to indicate to renderers that the width
>>> of the way is indicated by the multi-polygon rather than the way
>>> (centerline)?
>>>
>> No, not for the renderer, they only render what is tagged, not what is
>> not tagged.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand. What I mean is, if the database contains a
> way with highway=raceway, *as well as* a multi-polygon (MP) with
> highway=raceway, how would a renderer know not to try to render *two
> different raceways*? Is it their responsibility to check whether the
> way is *within* the MP area, and then infer that it describes the
> *same* raceway...?

Well I'd refer you back to the river/riverbank example & give a
different value for the mp; Kerb maybe or track_edge?

> I think it would be prudent to explicitly state this relationship
> between the way (giving centerline) and the MP (giving area)...with a
> relation. I think we could use [1], with type=area, role=center (for
> the centerline way) and role=area (for the MP).

This is new to me. What advantage would this bring?

Out of curiosity was this discussed in any of the forums (Not that it
had to to gain approval, of course)?
Any working examples?

Cheers
Dave F.