[Tagging] Micro Mapping, was Race track

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Feb 1 02:42:15 GMT 2010

It may be difficult to obtain GPS equipment that has accurate altitude data.  The GPS satellite system is maintained by the US military, and I have read that the altitude information available to civilian equipment has deliberate errors, in order to make it harder for terrorists, or non-US militaries, to use that equipment to plan out artillery attacks in advance.  The equipment used by the US military makes use of a more accurate, but encrypted, altitude signal.  In the US, at least, such equipment is classified and not legally available to civilians.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com