[Tagging] Micro Mapping, was Race track

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Feb 1 03:38:19 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:28 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1 February 2010 13:19, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> > I've got no problem with letting the editor do the grunt work.  But a way
> > with a width is difficult to connect lengthwise to another way with a
> width,
> > or to an area.
>
> Why would it be any more difficult than using areas, if the editors
> display the data correctly then you can edit it correctly too.

It's trivial with areas.  If the borders touch, the areas touch.  You can't
do that using a way and a width, unless you expect to do a bunch of
calculations behind the scenes (in the editors, in the routers, in the
renderers, etc).

> Way information should not be on nodes.  What happens when someone
> connects
>
> Nodes are the perfect point to do it, they are the 2D location, ways
> give you direction, nodes give you width.
>
> > a second way to the same node?  Now they have to examine the node to
> check
> > whether or not there are tags on it?  No.  Bad idea.
>
> You are assuming we are using the same tools we are using now to do
> stuff, if the editors become smart enough to enter width information
> they can display it as well.

I'm assuming the data is being put on the nodes, because that's the
suggestion.  Nodes can be shared by multiple ways.  If you're saying that's
not true, fine, but then you're not really talking about nodes any more.  In
the current system, this might be implemented using a relation between a
node and a way - okay, fine, that would work, though it seems more kludgy
than just mapping the left and right borders as ways, which gives you an
implicit width, plus gives you hooks so you can do things like show that the
right hand side of the road is directly adjacent (and routeable) to a
particular pedestrian area (see the thread a while ago on how to connect
pedestrian areas to ways, whether to lie about the pedestrian area, lie
about the way, or add in a bunch of arbitrary connecting ways).