[Tagging] Micro Mapping, was Race track

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Feb 1 03:53:37 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:46 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1 February 2010 13:38, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> > It's trivial with areas.  If the borders touch, the areas touch.  You
> can't
> > do that using a way and a width, unless you expect to do a bunch of
> > calculations behind the scenes (in the editors, in the routers, in the
> > renderers, etc).
>
> Which would happen with areas too, since we're dealing with vectors
> everything has to be calculated from points and extrapolated as to
> where the area should exist as a raster type image.

With areas, you'd share nodes (or, with areas formed with relations, share
ways).

For the problem, see
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.9461664259434&lon=11.577060520649&zoom=18

Luitpoldplatz should be connected to the pedestrian area adjacent to the
west.  But since Luitpoldplatz is represented as a way, and not an area,
this is not possible without inaccurately mapping the way or the area.