[Tagging] Micro Mapping, was Race track

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 04:21:20 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why would it be any more difficult than using areas, if the editors
> display the data correctly then you can edit it correctly too.

Think about it:
1) use tags on nodes to describe an area
2) use an area to describe an area

Generally speaking, I predict 2) will be easier.

> Nodes are the perfect point to do it, they are the 2D location, ways
> give you direction, nodes give you width.

Erm no. You need to know along which direction the width is measured.
You could *assume* that this is in the direction that bisects the
angle between the previous and following nodes, but 1) this is an
approximation and 2) this doesn't work if the node is connected to
more than 2 other nodes. Thus... nodes are hardly the "perfect point"
to indicate width.