[Tagging] Micro Mapping, was Race track

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Feb 1 05:53:09 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:26 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1 February 2010 14:21, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) use tags on nodes to describe an area
> > 2) use an area to describe an area
> >
> > Generally speaking, I predict 2) will be easier.
>
> Just like ways there is a lot of meta information to describe lanes,
> can you change lanes, do lanes have different speed limits, sure areas
> could be used for this, but the down side is you still need a way to
> describe the legal direction of travel, so the problem still exists an
> area alone doesn't describe everything.

Not necessarily.  A way is generally part of an area.  Even if you used a
single way, clockwise could represent one direction and counter-clockwise
could represent the other direction.  But for these areas relations would
probably work better.

Really, we should probably stop using the term "area", as OSM doesn't have
"areas", it has nodes, ways, and relations.