[Tagging] Race track

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 20:21:01 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> As the track will be the entity most people would expect to see on the
> map, tag that as highway=raceway.
> Tag the way as some like highway= 'racing_line'.
> Creating a new tag is not a problem, especially if it's solving a
> problem that hasn't yet been solved.

Thanks, that's not bad...But if you wanted to eventually have the
option to do a similar thing for other highway's, you'd have to create
a new tag for every one of them (e.g. highway=track +
highway=tire_grooves!). I would have thought there might be a more
elegant solution.

> It's not been commented on either. I'm not sure if this proposal is
> widely known about.

It's linked from http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations, which I
always check before suggesting something new.