[Tagging] ref tags and "reference routes"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:26:07 GMT 2010

2010/2/3 Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>:
> by way of context, New York State and some NY counties have cases where
> there are roads maintained
> by the state or county that do not have numbered&signed route
> designations. these roads have numbers
> assigned administratively ("reference routes") that do not appear on
> signs. the roads in question include
> many of the parkways (mostly around NYC) and many short connectors (i'm
> sure other jurisdictions have
> similar concepts, not necessarily called by the same name.)
>
> so should a reference route designation that isn't on a sign go in a ref
> tag or not? the wiki doesn't
> discuss this. if ref shouldn't have this, perhaps a variant on ref is
> needed?

IMHO the ref-tag describes the reference, not a sign, therefore to tag
them it doesn't matter if the reference numbers are displayed
laterally on signs or there is another source of getting them. Still
if you say that those numbers (reference routes) are different from
what we usually tag into reference, maybe a variant tag is the best.

cheers,
Martin