[Tagging] ref tags and "reference routes"

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Feb 3 14:34:24 GMT 2010

> IMHO the ref-tag describes the reference, not a sign, therefore to tag
> them it doesn't matter if the reference numbers are displayed
> laterally on signs or there is another source of getting them. Still
> if you say that those numbers (reference routes) are different from
> what we usually tag into reference, maybe a variant tag is the best.

administratively, a reference route is no different from a conventional
signed route
number. from a practical point of view, you almost never see a reference
route on a sign.
what we come back to is "tagging for the renderer", if we put the
reference route
designations in a ref tag, they'll show up in the renderers as if they
were on signs,
and there will be no way for logic in the renderer to ever tell when
they should or
shouldn't be rendered.

so i guess it's "don't tag for the renderer" vs. "don't screw the
renderer over
completely".

richard