[Tagging] ref tags and "reference routes"

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Feb 3 15:49:12 GMT 2010

On 2/3/10 10:29 AM, Chris Hill wrote:
> Richard Welty wrote:
>>
>> administratively, a reference route is no different from a
>> conventional signed route number. from a practical point of view, you
>> almost never see a reference  route on a sign. what we come back to is
>> "tagging for the renderer", if we put the reference route designations
>> in a ref tag, they'll show up in the renderers as if they were on
>> signs, and there will be no way for logic in the renderer to ever tell
>> when  they should or shouldn't be rendered.
> Does the type of road make a difference?  Route shields might only be
> shown on, say motorway, trunk and primary roads.
there are a variety of cases where NY state uses the designations. here
are some examples:

at the southern end of I-787 (Albany NY), there is a connector that runs
to the surface
street grid of South Albany and to US 9W (whereas I-787 runs to the toll
booths for
I-87 at exit 23). it has no signed designation of its own; all the
signage is "to XXX".
it has a reference route number of 912S. it is 0.57 miles long, and is a
motorway_link
grade of road.

on the other hand, the Taconic State Parkway is a long route north from
NYC, which
is for the most part of trunk and motorway quality. the signage is all
"TSP" or the full
name spelled out. the reference route number is 987G (pretty much all of
the parkways
running north or east out of NYC have names and reference route numbers
but no numbered
signage.)

south of Albany, 910A (Fuera Bush Road/Glenmont Road) is a former
routing of NY 32
which is still maintained by the state. it is of secondary quality.

in Tioga County, NY 962J is a reference route where for some reason the
state
actually did put up signage with that number; it is a case where a ref
tag is clearly
appropriate (there are around 4 or so such routes in the state that i
know of.)

richard