[Tagging] ref tags and "reference routes"

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Feb 3 19:57:51 GMT 2010

On 2/3/10 2:20 PM, Liz wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Richard Welty wrote:
>
>> so should a reference route designation that isn't on a sign go in a ref
>> tag or not? the wiki doesn't
>> discuss this. if ref shouldn't have this, perhaps a variant on ref is
>> needed?
>>

> Those sort of 'internal reference numbers' are used heavily in New South
> Wales. They aren't easy to work out and don't help with navigation. They would
> need a non-rendering tag - no use a router trying to send me down 'MR380'

the ones in NY are not exactly secrets; the average driver is not aware
of them, but anyone who
fools around with maps and roads in NY knows about them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reference_routes_in_New_York

in particular, they show up on the small green reference markers that
are on all state maintained
roads at 0.10 mile intervals.

some of them are in the tiger import data for NY; i see them scattered
about. i don't think they
should be rendered by default, but i think they're reasonably useful to
have there.