[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Proposed feature: Gated Communities

Adrian Brain adrianpbrain at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 20:50:39 GMT 2010

+1 for Martin's good suggestions.

Adrian

--- On Wed, 3/2/10, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] [OSM-talk] Proposed feature: Gated Communities
To: "Chango640" <chango640 at gmail.com>
Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org, "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools" <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
Date: Wednesday, 3 February, 2010, 20:47

2010/2/3 Chango640 <chango640 at gmail.com>:
> Hi people.
>
> I'm sending this mail in order to propose a new feature for the tag landuse:
> gated communities. These are a type of private neighbourhoods that are very
> common in Argentina, Brazil and many other countries, and have a notorious
> difference with ordinary city neighbourhoods.
>
> If you are interested in this proposal, please visit
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Gated_community to see
> full details and discuss.

Why not use landuse=residential together with another tag, say
community=gated (where community could also become other stuff like
religious, seniors, female, ... and or add access=private?

Anyway I would suggest to map the extent of the gated area by adding
the fence barrier=fence and the entraces / gates.

cheers,
Martin