[Tagging] ref tags and "reference routes"

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Feb 3 21:59:16 GMT 2010

On 2/3/10 4:33 PM, Alan Mintz wrote:
> At 2010-02-03 06:19, Richard Welty wrote:

>> so should a reference route designation that isn't on a sign go in a ref
>> tag or not? the wiki doesn't
>> discuss this. if ref shouldn't have this, perhaps a variant on ref is
>> needed?
>>
> I would say the question is "what happens when one of these routes is
> adopted as a state route and then signed?"
>
> If it retains the same route number as this "reference route", and is then
> signed that way, I would say that ref is the appropriate tag.
>
> Otherwise, a separate tag seems correct, since we may ultimately have to
> carry both IDs.

there are 4 cases i know of where, after a span of years, they put up
signs which used the reference
route numbers. however, these are considered mistakes by the DOT
personal in the area,
it's not really supposed to be done that way. state touring routes are
supposed to be numbered
from 1 to 899, reference routes are 900[A-Z] to 999[A-Z]

the counties have their own patterns, which vary. Columbia County may
some day put up a sign
for CR 60 (which has a number but no signs today), but Westchester
County is exceedingly
unlikely to post a sign for CR 9987.

richard