[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Proposed feature: Gated Communities

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 00:50:28 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not use landuse=residential together with another tag, say
> community=gated (where community could also become other stuff like
> religious, seniors, female, ... and or add access=private?

Good, but I don't like the "community=*" tag...it just doesn't sound
right, and could be awkward down the track. How about:

landuse=residential
residential=gated_community (or residential=retirement_village etc)

I've mapped lots of what look like retirement villages of various
types, haven't quite known what to do with them.

We will have to consider what to do about the fact that you'll end up
with nested landuse=residential - like one that covers a suburb or
even a whole town, and then smaller ones picking out individual
pockets of residentiality.

Steve