[Tagging] tag proposal "image=http:/... .jpg"

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Fri Feb 5 11:26:33 GMT 2010

Sam Vekemans wrote:
> I edited the page 'image'
> feel free to fix / edit/ delete
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image

The problem with this proposal is that there isn't a definition which of
the several images that likely exist for most objects should be
referenced. And I expect that it would hard to create one, as there
aren't any remotely objective criteria defining /the/ image for an
object - it can always only be /an/ image of the object.

My opinion is that personal preferences like that shouldn't be part of
the OSM database. No "my favourite Sunday walk" route relations, no
subjective "food=extremely_tasty" for restaurants, and no "my favourite
image of the object" either.

If you want to create a slippy map with images (or "my last holiday"
track overlays, or anything else to be displayed on top of an OSM map),
it's easy to set up your own database containing an association of image
files with coordinates or OSM ids.

Tobias Knerr