[Tagging] tag proposal "image=http:/... .jpg"

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:47:48 GMT 2010

Am 05.02.2010 12:26, schrieb Tobias Knerr:
> Sam Vekemans wrote:
>> I edited the page 'image'
>> feel free to fix / edit/ delete
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image
>
> The problem with this proposal is that there isn't a definition which of
> the several images that likely exist for most objects should be
> referenced. And I expect that it would hard to create one, as there
> aren't any remotely objective criteria defining /the/ image for an
> object - it can always only be /an/ image of the object.

This misses the point. In Wikipedia there's also no "definition which of
the several images that likely exist for most objects should be
referenced", but Wikipedia has a lot of geo related articles with an image.

> My opinion is that personal preferences like that shouldn't be part of
> the OSM database. No "my favourite Sunday walk" route relations, no
> subjective "food=extremely_tasty" for restaurants, and no "my favourite
> image of the object" either.

There's a big difference between the subjective "my favourite walk" and
the objective "this is a picture of the object".

Regards, ULFL