[Tagging] ref tags and "reference routes"

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 04:42:58 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> Those sort of 'internal reference numbers' are used heavily in New South
> Wales. They aren't easy to work out and don't help with navigation. They would
> need a non-rendering tag - no use a router trying to send me down 'MR380'

That's exactly the experience I get when trying to use my Garmin to
navigate off OSM. Not very helpful. I guess the cause is Garmin's US
bias, and the OSM conversion scripts being run at osmaustralia.org
possibly needing to disregard route numbers.

Although then again, there are route numbers like the C777 which
actually are useful, so I don't know what a simple algorithm would be.

Steve