[Tagging] tag proposal "image=http:/... .jpg"

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Feb 6 18:36:17 GMT 2010

Ulf Lamping wrote:
> There are conceptual differences between WP and OSM, but the underlying
> problem stays the same. Choose one "prominent" photo representing the
> object. WP can do it, so I don't see a good reason why we can't.

Of course we can. I'm just trying to explain that this problem is very
similar to the other decisions required when creating a Wikipedia
article, and quite different from what we usually do when collecting map
data.

> The image tag represents an image of the object, not necessarily the
> best possible image ever made.

That's technically correct, but people will replace an image with a
"better" one and oppose to it being replaced with "worse" ones anyway.

>> Similarly, it's objective information that my favourite walk is a route
>> from X via Y to Z.
>
> No, if you tell me this, you could simply lie to me :-)

I wouldn't tag it as "my favourite walk", though, but use the objective
"a route from X via Y to Z", just as you would tag your favourite
picture as "an image of object O".

> P.S: BTW: It doesn't really matter what you think about it! People will
> use image=xy anyway as they already do ;-)

Of course they will. I'm just posting this for the "told ya so" rights
once we get "my image is nicer than yours" edit wars on images and
quality/relevance criteria for image inclusions.

Tobias Knerr