[Tagging] tag proposal "image=http:/... .jpg"

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Feb 8 19:49:32 GMT 2010

Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 3:38 AM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
>> Wikipedia is clearly different from OSM in that there is exactly one
>> relevant way of viewing a Wikipedia entry: Visiting the page on
>> wikipedia.org. Everything else is an afterthought, used by a small
>> minority of Wikipedia visitors.
>
> You're wrong. Wikipedia is a project to build an encyclopaedia in
> exactly the same way OSM is a project to build a geographic database.
> Both have web sites that function as their primary portals. Wikipedia
> does spend more time, effort, money, hardware etc maintaining its, but
> that's perhaps because it's so ridiculously popular.

The difference is that the presentation of an article on Wikipedia is
to a large extent defined by its author(s) who's artistic skills are
very important for the usefulness of the article.  In contrast, the
presentation of our data is supposed to play no role in how we fill
our database.

>> Therefore, every article on Wikipedia is optimized for presentation on
>> that web site:
>
> Not really. "Optimised for" sounds like some sort of deliberate
> attempt to prioritise the website over other forms of content.

Deliberate or not, the way Wikipedia articles are created
automatically optimizes them for presentation on their website.

Matthias