[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Narrow width

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Fri Feb 19 00:13:57 GMT 2010

Pieren wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
> <mailto:deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Just estimate the width, width:est=*
>
>     Narrow is too subjective where as width:est isn't much better but at
>     least it puts a number to it
>
> Don't give again the same arguments as last time on this list.
What's wrong with giving the same arguments?
> We just have to admit that many contributors find easier to say that a
> residential street is narrower than the others instead of making wrong
> estimates.
No, no & no again. They should be convinced by rational argument that
there's a better way to do it. I've had it done to me a few times since
joining OSM.

I'm at a loss to understand how Narrow could be considered more accurate
than an estimated difference.

If users are so incompetent at judging distances then maybe they should
never hve picked up a GPS in the first place.

In theory, could the people who added ambiguous tags be emailed & asked
to suggest an alternative? I emphasize the word 'theory'.

cheers
Dave F.