[Tagging] opening hours

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sun Feb 21 10:34:04 GMT 2010

John Smith wrote:
> Can anyone see any obvious problems with parsing something like the following:
>
> opening_hours=1/Sa 09:00-11:00; 3/Su 10:00-12:00

I guess it would work. However, I wouldn't understand what it means when
encountering that value. One of the advantages of the opening_hours tag
is that you can usually understand it without refering to documentation.
Or is that some convention I simply haven't encountered yet?

Maybe we could come up with a somewhat more readable solution, "1st Sa"
or something like that?

A more general problem is that we are using increasingly more complex
opening hours (seasonal, x hours after sunrise/sunset, holiday-dependent
...), so it's unlikely that any application will support all cases.

Tobias Knerr