[Tagging] opening hours

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 13:19:37 GMT 2010

On 21 February 2010 22:59, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>  END:VCALENDAR

I don't think vcal/ical is suitable, simply because it doesn't merge
the information into a single line/tag...

> Clearly opening hours more or less has a grammar (I wonder if anyone is
> trying to mcahine parse the values, and finding problems, or has a "find
> me an open foo nearby" service).

There is a PHP script that describes how to parse the current format:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours/PHP_Code

> The current rules are geared towards weekly recurrence, which is of
> course a good match for (much of?) the real world.

Yes, and it also includes months...

>  Su[3] 10:00-12:00
>
> for third sunday, and
>
>  Th[-1] 10:00-12:00
>
> for last thursday, plus
>
>  We[-2] 19:00-21:00
>
> for penultimate wednesday (I know a place that gives ham radio exams on
> that actual schedule) would be minimally invasive to the current format
> and still capture the semantics of icalendar.

I have nothing against using this format, as long as we also
incorporate things like multiple weeks, eg

Su[1,3,5] 06:00-12:00

Or

Su[1-2] 06:00-12:00

Although Tobias' point about this not being obvious human readable
form still holds.