[Tagging] opening hours

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Feb 21 13:31:19 GMT 2010

John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 21 February 2010 22:59, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>>  END:VCALENDAR
>
> I don't think vcal/ical is suitable, simply because it doesn't merge
> the information into a single line/tag...

Agreed; I meant "They've already figured out the hard semantic issues,
so let's not reinvent everything."  I knew there was the single-line
issue, and that's how I ended up with my suggestion.

> There is a PHP script that describes how to parse the current format:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours/PHP_Code

Thanks - almost a grammar :-)

> I have nothing against using this format, as long as we also
> incorporate things like multiple weeks, eg
>
> Su[1,3,5] 06:00-12:00
>
> Or
>
> Su[1-2] 06:00-12:00

Sure, that seems totally reasonable to me.

> Although Tobias' point about this not being obvious human readable
> form still holds.

True, but things can't be both obviously human readable and
compact/unambiguous.  The real goal in tags isn't "human readable" but
"nerd readable", and I think that once someone learns that Su[1] means
"first sunday", they won't have trouble.