[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Narrow width

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 00:25:50 GMT 2010

2010/2/19 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> Hey, guys, come back to the real world. As you said, putting the width_est
> is only helpful if you can compare it, which means that you will need a
> width_est in ALL highways.

no, you can always compare it to the width of your vehicle, therefore
it doesn't require that all streets are tagged width it. AND: you can
always compare to the construction standards for new roads in your
part of the world.

BTW: in countries with a well developed and maintained road system
there will always be indications (signs) for narrow parts (like the
ones we are already mapping with maxwidth) with the legal binding
width number on it, so no need to estimate.

If a user is bad at estimating widths I suggest that he measures the
exact width. Still "narrow" is not a good solution to the problem as
many posters have already written above.

cheers,
Martin