[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Narrow width

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 15:16:48 GMT 2010

2010/2/22 Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com>:
> Let's say I'm in a truck that's 4m wide.

At least in Europe you won't drive alone, there will be a
accompagnying police car in front and back of you (convoi
exceptionel), and you'll pay for that ;-)

Maximum width for "ordinary" vehicles in Germany is e.g. 2,50 m and I
think this is at least in Europe the standard.

> I come to a road with width=3 - that is indeed "useful".
> I come to a road with narrow=yes - that is not as "useful".

+1, I agree to this. Another issue besides the width is still the
height (see Colin Smale above), as it doesn't help you in your say
2,30 x 3,95 m (w x h) truck to know that the road is 3 m wide, but
this only for a height till 3,40 because above there is trees going
over the street.

>> I'm still waiting a proposal for the default width per highway category.
>  I don't think that's necessary. It's ok for the width to be "unknown"
> - it just means the map isn't complete yet :)

+1, tag it explicitly and till width is there, it is simply unknown.

cheers,
Martin