[Tagging] US Speed Limits, truck routes, bike routes, access

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 02:53:04 GMT 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Alan Mintz
<Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Several issues with relation to speed limits:
>
> 1. How should one tag "suggested" speeds (usually around curves) ...
> ... Should I tag them as maxspeed=*?

The wiki says maxspeed is for "the maximum speed that is allowed"
(i.e. "allowed", not "suggested"). I'd be in favour of proposing a new
tag, like maybe "maxspeed:suggested", or "suggestedmaxspeed".

> maxspeed:children_present=25 mph
> source:maxspeed_children_present=survey;image
> I changed the ":" to "_", not being sure if we want to deal with multiple
> levels of children.

I would prefer source:maxspeed:children_present, i.e. keep it in the
form: source:<key name>. I expect this would be easier to parse.

> In CA, the standard speed limit on freeways is 65mph normally, but 55mph
> for trucks and towing/towed vehicles. This results in 9 tags(!), providing
> more reason for some sort of scheme like maxspeed=freeway.

Are these "standard speed limits" verifiable (i.e. marked
on-the-ground?) If so, then 9 tags is fine - I don't see this as a
reason to support the introduction of a *less explicit* scheme.

> ... I'd like to create a node where I first see a "No
> Trespassing" sign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:No_trespassing_sign.jpg).
>
> Should I tag the node access=private [+source=* +source_ref=*]?

I don't think so. What does the node represent - the sign? If so,
tagging the node in this way seems to mean "the public are not allowed
to use *this sign*". :P Tagging a node with access=* does, however,
make sense for a gate (node). If you want to mark the presence of the
sign, how about traffic_sign=*?
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:traffic_sign)

> ... I can then tag
> the way with source:access=* +source_ref:access=*.

I'd prefer the *section of private way* to be marked as such using
access=private.