[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways (was Re: bicycle=no)

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Jan 5 17:18:36 GMT 2010

> 2010/1/5 Steve Bennett <stevagewp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
>> Right, I'm not confusing the terms. Some people have used the word
>> "designed" in definitions, as in "designed for bicycles". That's all.
>>

> btw: is there a difference between dedicated and designated?

Yes.  “dedicated” means that it is *only* for whatever it’s dedicated
to.  “designated” means that it is somehow identified as being for
whatever it’s designated for.

> Legally. Although general practice (I believe) is that if a cycleway is
>> really wide enough for vehicles, and is used by *some* vehicles (ie,
>> maintenance ones) then it should be tagged "track" rather than cycleway.
>
> in here streets for maintenance are considered highway=service.

Here, the vehicles which maintain the paths are allowed to drive on
them.  For example, trucks carrying asphalt or tar for pavement work, or
trucks with a wood chipper for clearing brush.  Also, emergency vehicles
(ambulances, police, fire trucks) are allowed to use them if necessary
for carrying out their duties.  Obviously they need to be careful of the
physical limitations of their vehicles, but it’s legally allowed under
certain circumstances, in contradiction of “no motor vehicles” signs.

That doesn’t make it a track though, IMO.