[Tagging] Using relations to group highways

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Jan 5 20:32:41 GMT 2010

On 01/05/2010 01:32 PM, John Smith wrote:
> Currently there is discussion on using relations to group segments of
> a highway occurring:
>
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2599

In that ticket, you wrote: “we think administrative polygons should be
used for custom highway shields, instead of trying to tell the rendering
software explicitly which shield to use”

How might this work?  Presumably there’s some idea of linking
primary/secondary/tertiary each with an administrative level, using that
to determine which of the administrative polygons applies to the route
in question, and then deciding from there which shield to use.  Do I
have it right?

You also wrote, “we have documented our usage of it, although it's mixed
in with a lot of other aussie info and could possibly do well to stand
on it's own.“

Can you point to this, even if it is mixed in with other stuff?

Thanks

-Alex Mauer “hawke”