[Tagging] Using relations to group highways

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Jan 5 22:20:10 GMT 2010

On 01/05/2010 03:45 PM, Matthias Julius wrote:
> Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> writes:
>
>> On 01/05/2010 01:32 PM, John Smith wrote:
>>> Currently there is discussion on using relations to group segments of
>>> a highway occurring:
>>>
>>> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2599
>>
>> In that ticket, you wrote: “we think administrative polygons should be
>> used for custom highway shields, instead of trying to tell the rendering
>> software explicitly which shield to use”
>>
>> How might this work?  Presumably there’s some idea of linking
>> primary/secondary/tertiary each with an administrative level, using that
>> to determine which of the administrative polygons applies to the route
>> in question, and then deciding from there which shield to use.  Do I
>> have it right?
>
> This could be derived from the ref tag and administrative boundary.
> "A 2" should get a different shield in Germany than in the UK.  Same
> goes for "M 5" in Michigan or UK.

That seems like a sensible thing to do, but as far as I can tell, John
considers that to be “trying to tell the rendering software explicitly
which shield to use.” (The process you describe is roughly the plan for
the US as far as I know, and thus must not be what he’s talking about)
Hence the request for clarification.

-Alex Mauer “hawke”