[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 6 08:11:52 GMT 2010

... I've refrained so far from getting into this burgeoning discussion thread ... just 2 humble pleas though:

1. It is different in different countries. In England there are cycleways ... typically part of long-distance non-urban routes that have been created either primarily for cyclists or as shared routes for non-motorised users ... that don't have cycleway signs. But they are ALL available to pedestrians (and often equestrians) as well.

2. OSM is - I hope - not just a cycle project. Some of us walk from time to time (as well as cycle and drive). In England there are already many ways tagged as 'cycleways' - apart from dedicated cycle tracks alongside motor roads every one of these that I have seen so far is available equally to cyclists. pedestrians and (usually) equestrians. If we suddenly redefine 'cycleway' as being "exclusively" for cyclists there will be a s**tload of re-tagging to do!

  _____