[Tagging] Using relations to group highways

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 21:52:02 GMT 2010

2010/1/8 Matthias Julius <lists at julius-net.net>:
> John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Do they?  Did I miss something?  Last I know is that they are rendered
>>> on top of buildings even if they are on a lower layer.
>>
>> How is that rendering bug related to using relations to group ways?
>
> From a previous post of yours:

Which was a reply to a question you asked...

> Also, it would be nice if the mechanism is general enough that it can be
> used elsewhere where the appearance of a way or node should depend on an
> area it intersects or is within, like roads under buildings.

Relations don't intersect buildings, ways do...

In any case this thread was started because someone wanted the usage
documented so it could be used wide spread, I've done this using the
wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Custom_Highway_Shields

In the top section.