[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways (was Re: bicycle=no)

Peteris Krisjanis pecisk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 15:36:01 GMT 2010

2010/1/8 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:
> 2010/1/8 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com>
>>
>> So the 22,000 highway=cycleway in the UK all need to be changed.
>> Unfortunately, UK mappers don't seem to agree with this.

If you are sure that there is zero official cycleways, where is the
problem to change all this tagging to special one mentioned by Steve?
Automate it and be done, no?

> well, I'm pretty sure if you'd start today you would have changed them
> within some weeks, but still "mainly" designed could be interpreted for some
> of those 22,000 cycleways as well, couldn't it?
>
> On the other hand Germany alone has 4 times the cycleways in OSM and does
> require distinction between formal cycleways and other ways where cycles
> might be allowed as well but are not considered cycleways. Haven't looked up
> the numbers for France, Italy, the Netherlands and so on, but I agree with
> you: the best will be to find a workaround for yesterdays mistakes.

Workarounds might work for temporary, but for future it will be easier
to agree to clear and cut part of this feature, and deal with
"semi-official" and "seems like" with different tags. Yes, it will
require going trough and reviewing stuff. But it must be done if you
want nice definitive map at some level.

Just my imho
Cheers,
Peter.