[Tagging] What's a power=station?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Jan 18 13:50:50 GMT 2010

Tobias Knerr wrote:
> Steve Bennett wrote:
>
>>> Remember there are 20000 active mappers out there having a specific idea
>>> about that tag in their head,
>>>
>> That's what I'm trying to determine. I suspect that the 20,000 active
>> mappers actually have several different ideas in their heads. Can you
>> think of a good way to find this out?
>>

> A good start might be to look at the translations. For example, the
> German wiki page for power=*[1], as well as several other pages, defines
> power=station as "Umspannwerk"[2]. I therefore assume that in Germany,
> many of the uses of the "station" value will be for what you would call
> a "substation".
>
> Tobias Knerr
>
> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Key:power
> [2] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umspannwerk

That's interesting. I was led to believe that the German equivalent of
power station (as in coal fired/nuclear generators) was kraftwerk, as in
the pioneering synthesizer band. It appears there is a difference of
understanding.

I've used, & seen used by others - building=power_station.

To me power is energy. It's not a physical entity. Therefore it
shouldn't be used as a key.

& so to follow on I think:

power=tower should be pylon=electricity
power=line should be cable=electricity

Remember, we're meant to be mapping  _physical_ entities & tagging them
as such.

Cheers
Dave F.

PS
& Don't get me start on using historic as a key. I mean, it's an
adjective & therefore subjective. That's just asking for trouble.