[Tagging] What's a power=station?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Jan 18 17:31:16 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> OK, this could degenerate into a philosophical discussion,

Yeah, I should have just kept my mouth shut.

> so to keep it slightly on tagging:
>
> Would you tag a reservoir at the head of a hydro-electric dam as a
> reservoir or power?

No, I'd probably tag it as natural=water.

Would you describe a gas tank as power or a tank filled with gas?

Depends on the context.

In any case, I guess I see what you're getting at.  But power is far from
the only tag which is used this way.  There are lots of tags that aren't
material objects: man-made, leisure, tourism, military, landuse, natural,
geological...  And worse than that, they overlap.  If that's what you're
complaining about, okay, but power is far from the only culprit.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:36 AM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>wrote:

> The definition that I was taught in school was that matter could be
> converted into energy, and energy could be converted into matter.  This is
> not the same thing as saying that matter is energy.

Maybe not, but "matter is energy" or maybe "matter is made out of energy" is
probably more technically accurate.  But then, that's probably, as Dave
suggested, a philosophical question.